Thursday, February 15, 2007

Coincidence? Nothing Happens By Accident. . .

January 2005 - My friend, Susan, (I didn't know her then) receives her cochlear implant. . .

March 2005 - John, our audiologist, introduces us because he thought I might be interested in meeting someone with a cochlear implant. Susan shows me her processor, answers many questions and we become fast friends. I started my CI journey on April 1st after meeting her. . .

August 2005 - I receive my first CI. Susan was right there with my husband, Steve, and best friend, Dawn, when I came out of surgery. . .brings me chicken noodle soup the next day. . .

September 2005 - Susan starts nursing school to pursue a lifelong dream of becoming a nurse. Her implant gave her the confidence to take this BIG step. . .

September 2006 - Susan graduates from Nursing School and is valedictorian of her class. . .Says she needs a break and will start looking for a job after Christmas. . .is nervous because she hasn't worked in over 20 years. . .

January 2007 - I receive my second CI. Susan comes to visit me at the hospital, takes me out to lunch a week later. . .

Today (February 15, 2007). . . is my post op appointment at Dr. Merwin's office. . . (do you see where I'm going with this????)

Teresa, Dr. Merwin's nurse calls me from the waiting area and before she takes me to the exam room, she says, "there is someone here you might want to see". . .and takes me to another room. . .

SUSAN!!!!!

Who would have thought that this wonderful person would see me through my CI journey and be at my last post-op appointment working as a nurse at the doctor's clinic where I go? Nothing happens by accident and I know God is smiling on us right now. . .He is the Master Planner and orchestrated this day a long time ago. This wasn't just a coincidence. He knew how my life (and Susan's) was going to play out long before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in His Book before I took my first breath of life. "All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:16. My all-time favorite Bible verse is in Ecclesiastes 3 where it says that there is a time for everything and a season for every activity under the heaven. . .with God all things are possible and everything happens for a reason. I believe it and love it when I see thing play out like they did today. . .Susan is such a dear friend and we feel like we've been friends forever. I am truly blessed to have a friend like her and to think that she would end up working for MY DOCTOR just blows me away! That was a God moment for me today. And that isn't all. . .Susan is right where she is supposed to be and will be able to help so many patients because of her experience with her hearing loss and her cochlear implant. She also just completed her application to be an advocate for Cochlear Corporation. I just had to share this with my readers today. . . Wherever you are in your life today, you are there for a purpose. God has you right where He wants you. Right now. Today. No matter what your circumstances are. And, He puts people in our paths for a reason at the right time. God says so and I believe it!

"Remember you go nowhere by accident,
Wherever you go, God is sending you.
Wherever you are,
God has put you there.
God has a purpose in you being there,
Christ, who is in you, has something
He wants to do through you where you are.
Believe this and go in God's strength,
Love and power."

written by R.C. Halverson
Former Chaplain, U.S. Senate

In other news, I had a good appointment with Dr. Merwin. When he walked in the room, he asked me if he did okay with my hair. (I had asked him to shave as little as possible this time. Since I'm his first adult bilateral CI patient, he probably has not had that request before!) My stitches and staples are out. Yay! They were starting to drive me nuts and Teresa had a hard time getting them out because the skin had started to heal over them. As she stood behind me clipping them out (I'm holding my hair up and looking down at my feet), I was able to carry on a conversation with her. No lipreading or looking at her as if it was a normal thing to do. :D Dr. Merwin also did a test to see why I was still have vertigo issues. It is only on my right side and should only be temporary (but we already knew that, right?) Next step is activation day on March 1st!

Since my appointment was in Knoxville, I met my sister and niece, Kathy & Elizabeth, for dinner tonight afterwards and we had a good visit. Then I indulged in some retail "therapy" and found a great bargain on a Ralph Lauren sweater that I had admired before Christmas but couldn't afford at the time. It was on clearance, marked down another 30%, and I had two $10 coupons. I saved 77% of the retail price! I love those kind of deals. :D I finished off the day at Starbucks with a chai tea latte. Life is good. Good night!

3 comments:

Cloggy said...

Congratulations with your second CI.
Hope it will be what you hope for, and a bit more...

;o)

Thanks for your comments on Lotte's blog. Appreciate it.

Sam said...

I may not be too religious but this is definitely an inspiration! I bet you are anxious to start hearing in "stereo"!

Susan said...

Laurie-I love you, you are a dear fiend and I am blessed to have you as a ci sister! I am thrilled to have been along for the ride. I look forward to seeing where the Lord and our cis' take us in the future. Susan