Monday, February 19, 2007

Today Was A Good Day

Wow. I actually felt good today. It will be three weeks tomorrow since I had my CI surgery. Today was President's Day and I had the day off. Took my car to the body shop this morning and dropped it off. They had a rental car ready for me, which is a Ford Explorer. It is huge but I like it. It is also quieter than my damaged car. There was so much wind noise and loose parts rattling after my car was wrecked that I couldn't hear the radio or anything. It will take at least eight working days to fix it. On the way home, I stopped at the Wellness Center to get some exercise. I rode the Life Cycle bike for 25 minutes and then swam in the pool for 30 minutes. I even got a massage. I should sleep like a baby tonight! Stopped at my favorite sandwich shop and picked up a salad to go, went to the Mall to get a few things and went home.

A funny thing happened today. . .while I was shopping at the mall, Steve sent me a text message on my phone and said that someone called him and they had Chris' cell phone. It must have fallen out of his pocket while he was eating lunch with his friend. I just "happened" to be right next door where his phone was so I walked over there and picked it up. When I got home, I asked Chris if he knew where his phone was. He said, "Yea, it's in the house." I said, "No, it isn't. I have it in my purse." He replied and said, "No, you don't! I just had it. You left the house before I did so there is no way you have my phone." I said, "Wanna bet? Here, hold my stuff. . . " and I handed him his phone from my purse! He didn't even know his phone was lost!

I still have vertigo issues but it is ONLY when I lay down or roll over. Two people from the CI Hear group emailed me personally and brought my attention to a condition called (BPPV) or "Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo." Both of these persons had BPPV after their CI surgeries and were treated with balance therapy. Within 6-8 weeks of the Epley Maneuver, they were fine. I looked it up and it describes my symptoms perfectly. Hopefully, it won't last long. If it still bothers me, I'll have to call Dr. Merwin to see if he thinks it is anything to be concerned about. I feel like it is getting better every day so I'm not too concerned. I thought that if I did some swimming, it would be good *balance* therapy with the water holding me up. I need to get back into exercising, anyway. I did okay doing the breaststroke, side stroke, and overhand stroke, but when I did the backstroke I got dizzy. I took it easy getting in the pool, too, instead of jumping in like I usually do.

The birds are back. I'm starting to hear them again. We have a songbird singing but Steve and I cannot figure out which one it is. We have all different kinds of birds at our bird feeder and I just love to watch them all. We have robins, chickadees, sparrows, titmice, house finches, goldfinches, cardinals, blue jays, a gorgeous downy woodpecker, and blue birds, just to name a few. That means spring isn't too far away even though we had snow on the ground yesterday.

No comments: