Friday, July 27, 2007

This Energizer Bunny Quit

Even though I "run" on batteries, I cannot keep "running" forever. My "batteries" are nearly drained and I am in desperate need of a break. These last few weeks I have been so tired. It is a tiredness that will not go away with a good night's sleep, a massage, or a day off. I’ve had several indicators lately, too, telling me that it is time for a "time-out."

Several weeks ago, Pastor Jeff, centered his sermon around Matthew 11:28 – “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” As soon as he spoke, I felt as if the message was designed especially for me. Ever feel like that sometimes? He talked on the subject of finding rest the following Sunday, too. On July 20th, I accidentally read August 20th in my devotional book and Matthew 11:28 showed up again. Later that week, as I was driving down the road, I saw the verse again on a church billboard. It was clear to me that God was sending me a message! My family, friends, and coworkers have all noticed my weariness, too, and have voiced their concerns.

One friend in particular commented to me that mothers and wives take care of everyone and everything and mentioned that I could be the spokesperson for the Energizer Bunny! She also reminded me that I just had major surgery this year, lived through the horrors of Virginia Tech, take care of my husband, family, friends, our children’s friends, worry about them, run the household, work two jobs (my credit union job and finances for our business), volunteer and participate in church activities, travel, etc. etc. etc. And this is only the tip of the iceberg. So, I’ve scheduled some time off to get away from everything.

I feel guilty for being tired because my husband is exhausted, too, and works so hard for all of us. But, he knows that I am at my "breaking point" and understands my need for solitude and time to think with no distractions. He says he has his “vacation” on the golf course every weekend and is content with that. We are no good if we are both falling apart! One of us needs to be strong for the other.

So, this Saturday, I will pack up my SUV and head north to Ohio ALONE for nine days. I plan to spend some time with my Aunt Trudy, who lives in the country north of Columbus. I will also spend some time with my brother and relax by his pool at his house. I’ll have lunch with my mother-in-law and dinner with my father in the middle of the week. I also plan to attend two family reunions and a high school reunion. But the rest of my time will be spent in peace and quiet.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. . . .”

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

This post just showed up on my Google reader today, or I would have commented long ago. I have been thinking about you and worried about you...are you OK? I love you bunches, sweetie...and can't wait until the 24th! :) (((((HUGS)))))

Anonymous said...

Laurie,

Thanks so much for your comment at Ethan's world, it was really a pick me up and I've needed one lately.

I love the Amish country pictures and am glad to see you had a safe trip to Ohio and back.

The messages are certainly loud and clear for you to take a break, that's for sure. You *have* had an intense year, and add to the list of things you are doing, keeping up this wonderful blog. That's a job in and of itself.

I hope you are kicking your feet as I type.

(Ethan's mom, changed my "handle" due to excessive number of Heathers out there)