Sunday, April 01, 2007

Mirror, Mirror On The Wall. . .


When I woke up this morning and looked in the mirror, this is what I saw:
A baby born into a wonderful and supportive family . . .
A toddler who learned to talk by placing her fingers on her therapist's throat to feel the vibrations of a word and imitate the movement of her lips. . .
A child of God who loves the Lord and knows she is forgiven. . .
A young girl who longs to be on her grandparent's farm again to swing in the tree high above the garden. . .
A teenager who struggled to belong in a confusing world. . .
An 18-year old who fell in love with her Prince Charming. . .and let him take her away on his mighty horse. . .and still loves him. . .
A wife. . .A daughter. . .A sister. . . A cousin. . . A niece. . .A coworker. . .A neighbor. . .And friend. . .

A mother who loves her children with all her heart and is so proud of them . . .
One who loves at all times . . .
A dog lover who would take in every stray if she had the time and space. . .
A quilter. . .A knitter. . .A seamstress. . .A gardener. . .A baker. . .A writer. . .
A deaf person who now can hear with the help of modern technology. . .
A *hearing* person with two cochlear implants that marvels and rejoices at every new sound. . .
A woman who has worked hard for her place in the world. . .
A Birthday Girl who turned 50 today. . .and that is no April Fool!
This is the DAY that the Lord has Made. . . I will rejoice and be glad in it!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! Happy birthday to you!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR LAURIE! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

At 50 your memory is not quite as good, so I forgot that your birthday was on April 1st. Hope you had a wonderful celebration!

Love, Shelley

Susan said...

Not Fair! You still look 29!!!!!
I am sending you all my gray hair!

SooZ said...

Happy Birthday! you are the THIRD person I know celebrating on the same day! A popular day among my friends.

You look beautiful. =)

Happy day.

Suzie

Mom said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

Jennifer said...

A wonderful friend who is loved very much on your birthday and every day! I'm sorry I'm late to the party...I am behind reading blogs!!
I love you, and would have never guessed 50...and I've seen you in person. You are beautiful..inside and out! :)
And you're the fifth person we know with an April Fool's birthday!!

Jason said...

Happy Birthday Laurie - its wonderful to read about your marvellous progress!

Jason, Nik and Tom...

Anonymous said...

Hey Laurie,

I read your blog this evening and am once again very moved by your ability to write so well. I enjoyed reading your reflection (no pun intended).

Happy belated Birthday!

Penny

Anonymous said...

Wow,

Leaves and flowering trees!!!! I'm so jealous. Earlier this week we were in the 70's and today we're in the 20's! I actually pulled my winter coat back out to wear today due to low temperature with Wind. We're only supposed to be in the 30's most of the weekend. I think I heard on the weather last night that the upper peninsula got 20 inches of snow. We only got a dusting ... but it was on the ground when I went to bed and when I got up - so it isn't melting.

Laurie, I don't even think about Birthday numbers anymore - for obvious reasons! Girl, you don't look or act your age!!!! :-) Or perhaps you do ... "they" are saying that 50 is the new 30! ... and I'm okay with that! Thirties wasn't so bad for me. :-)

Remember, it is just a number ... I truly believe "You're as young as you feel" ... and I feel like mid-thirties! :-) Hope you feel that or less, mid-twenties?! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Laurie~

Thanks for the pictures! Mom said she was honored to help you celebrate your 50th.

You look amazing and have had so many adventures in 50 years - especially now with your implants. And, I couldn't help but see so much of your mom in you. I know she would be so proud of you.

Enjoy your spring there on the east side of TN, we are LOVING the weather and beauty of the flowers and budding trees here.

The boys are getting BIG, I can hardly believe that Ty is almost ONE!!! :) I watched him sleep the other day for about 10 minutes and marveled at how amazing he is, and how he used to be SO little in his crib. - I guess I cannot talk to you about kids getting big.... :)

I send you a hug,

Jenny and the "E" family!

Anonymous said...

You don't look a day over 35! Wow! Happy Birthday, a bit late as it were.

Thanks for visiting Ethan's blog and saying the kind words. I am feeling much better lately!

Heather

Anonymous said...

Laurie,

Your Birthday pictures are beautiful! Mom said she had such a wonderful time with all of you. Hopefully, she and I can come visit sometime in June.

Hope you had a good Easter,
Wendy