Monday, August 14, 2006

Look What I Found

I was browsing the Internet last night and discovered that Heather Whitestone just received a second cochlear implant and was recently activated. You can read about it here and here! (Two different articles) Her hearing loss and journey is almost identical to mine and I have admired her strength, courage, and determination ever since she became the first Miss America with a hearing disability years ago. More and more deaf and hard of hearing persons are being implanted bilaterally and recent studies show that two implants ARE better than one. If Heather can get implanted bilaterally, there is no reason why I should not have two, either.

I still haven't heard anything from our insurance company regarding my request for a second implant. I called Teresa, Dr. Merwin's nurse, this afternoon to see if she had heard anything and she hadn't. She said she would call Cochlear in the morning to find out what was going on (they are advocating to AETNA on my behalf) and would let me know. I think I'll send an email to AETNA, too, to find out what the status is.

Michael Chorost, who wrote the book, REBUILT, about his cochlear implant has changed his surgery date for his second implant for the third or fourth time (I've lost track) because AETNA denied his request the first time and he is fighting them. He is supposed to have an answer in two weeks. I've been watching his blog and you can read his latest update here. I've written to him several times by email and he always writes back to me. If he gets approved, AETNA can't say "no" to me!

One of the gals in my SHHH/HLAA group is getting her cochlear implant TOMORROW! I'm sure she is excited and nervous at the same time. Dr. Merwin, my doctor, is doing her surgery and I know she will do great. Say a prayer for Maureen and for her recovery and activation day. Hopefully she'll be activated when our group resumes our meetings in September.

No comments: