Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The Mower

Today is an absolutely gorgeous day! During my lunch hour I went to the park so that I could just take in the sunshine and warm weather while I did some reading. Ever since I started this journey, I've been trying to be more aware of the sounds that I hear versus the ones I may be missing. I "missed" a BIG one today. I was concentrating so hard on my book that I jumped when a city worker drove right in front of me on the sidewalk full blast with an industrial riding mower! I should have heard him coming but I didn't. . .

I know that I've trained my brain to "hear" sounds. For example, when I see Chester meowing at me, I think I "hear" her meowing (yes, Chester is a she!) because I've somehow made up a "meow" in my head. I know I do this with many other things. What will it be like if this cochlear implant works for me and I can hear "real sounds?"

Last night I met my dear friend, Dawn, at Starbucks in Turkey Creek. We go way back and have been friends for more than 15 years. She grew up understanding the deaf community because her mother signed for the deaf in church and she always had to sit in the deaf section even though there was nothing wrong with her hearing. She is probably one of the few friends that I can connect with (outside of my family) that REALLY understands me and my disability. She was so excited for me when I shared with her that I was going to be evaluated for a cochlear implant! She said she would drop whatever she was doing to be there for me when I go through this process! She was so funny and said I might even end up with a roomful of people when I get "turned on!" (When and if that happens. . .)

I tried the Chai Tea Latte for the first time at Starbucks. . .it is my new favorite drink!

No comments: