Saturday, April 23, 2005

ENG Test & CT Scan

I was curious to see what the ENG test was all about so I looked it up on the Internet today. The purpose of the ENG is to determine whether or not dizziness may be due to inner ear disease. The ears are filled with warm and cold liquid or something like that. There are four main parts to the ENG. The calibration test evaluates rapid eye movements. The tracking test evaluates movement of the eyes as they follow a visual target. The positional test measures dizziness associated with positions of the head. The caloric test measures responses to warm and cold water circulated through a small, soft tube in the ear canal.

Dr. Merwin's office called me at work yesterday and left a message with June, our receptionist. I am scheduled for the ENG test and CT scan at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday, May 12th. It is all done at his office and I will spend the day there. I won't be allowed to eat or drink anything before the tests because the ENG could possibly make me nauseous. There will be time for me to go to lunch (if I feel like it!) before I meet with the Dr. to discuss the results. I'll probably go to Starbucks and relax for a while. Hopefully, we will have an answer from the insurance company by then. I'm going through a whole range of emotions - sadness and tears that Mom isn't here to share this with me, anxiety and uncertainty of the unknown, apprehension of being without sound for four weeks after surgery until I get activated, etc. etc. etc. But, I do know that this is the right thing to do. . . and the timing is right. My hearing is almost gone. Life is too short for me to go without my hearing any longer. I cannot wait to see what God has in store for me and our family! I have a lot of "cheerleaders" behind me! My family, friends, Bible Study group, coworkers, and all. God is so good.

No comments: