Wednesday, June 18, 2008

HLAA in Reno

Where do I begin to write? Four days at the HLAA Convention in Reno was not enough time to see all the things I wanted to see, spend time with all the friends I wanted to be with, take all the pictures I wanted to take, attend all the events & seminars I wanted to go to, and do all the things I wanted to do. There are so many thoughts I want to share with you all about the convention that I don't know where to start writing. . .

But, I will
tell you this. . . I was with my "people!"

I thoroughly loved meeting the people whose blogs I read on a regular basis but had not met face to face. I was thrilled to see friends I already knew in addition to those from last year's convention in Oklahoma City (and missed those who couldn't make it this year.) Everyone I met was just as wonderful and funny and thoughtful as they are in their blogs, emails, in chat rooms, and on Facebook. And they look even better in person than they do in their pictures! From the time we walked through the hotel doors until we left, we hugged, laughed, talked, cried, played, and took a million pictures until we crashed! I smiled so much that my face hurt!

As I flew to Texas (to see my grandson & son &
daughter-in-heart) from Reno after the convention, I looked out the plane window for a long time and reflected on my time in Reno. Being with such inspirational people is an emotional roller coaster for me. I completely melted and went into "convention withdrawal," if there is such a thing. I'm still trying to process it all. I had looked forward to this for a year and was so grateful AND BLESSED for the opportunity to be with so many wonderful people. . .who have a hearing loss just like me. . .those of us who live with deafness have a special bond that the "hearing world" doesn't always understand.

I'll write more in detail in the next few days as soon as I edit some posts I wrote on the plane. . . until then, enjoy these pictures!

Mike Royer (he's such a great and funny guy!)Abbie, Jennifer, & meMy Fabulous Roomates, Jennifer & Abbie!
Mike, Jen, Laurie, Abbie, and Zac La Fratta at the banquet

2 comments:

Shari said...

So glad you had a wonderful time. I know what you mean about "your people." When you are with people who have similar issues like hearing loss, it's a bond that's immediately understood and shared.

Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing.

VBnBama said...

y'all look so pretty/cute! looks like ya had fun