Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Down for the Count

"Be still and know that I am God. . . ." (Psalm 46:10) Ok, Lord, I hear you. . .

I don't have time to be sick but I am. It hit me hard on Sunday night while trying to figure out the lights on the Christmas tree that is supposed to go up in three easy pieces (by the way, the box is still in the living room and the middle section of the tree won't light). I knew I was coming down with something last week and tried to fight it off with over-the-counter medicines. That didn't work. As I got dressed for work yesterday morning I felt weak, achy, and nauseous with a pounding headache. Don't have a voice, either. Lasted two hours, came home and went straight to bed. Steve called the Dr. for me and got an appointment for me. I couldn't see our regular family doctor but it didn't matter at this point. Sure enough, I have a sinus infection and it has knocked me down flat. I can't sit up for long without getting weak so it is back to my chair or bed I go. I used to say that God doesn't give us more than we can handle but I changed my thinking on that a while back. I think He GIVES us more than we can handle so that we can come to Him and ask Him for peace and guidance. I hear Him calling out to me saying "My child, come to me and rest". . ."Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. . ." (Matthew 11:28) As I look back on the last couple of weeks, I realize that I've been trying to do too much. My relationships with my family and friends has not been the greatest. My stress level has increased and my peace level has decreased these last few weeks. That needs to change now. Part of me is so frustrated but the other part of me is saying "so what if everything doesn't get done?" I am at the end of my rope and am physically and emotionally exhausted. I need to spend more time with God, not less and just listen to Him. I know He will carry my load if I let Him. He will give me the strength that I need. . .because He is tireless, infinite, giving, loving, and caring. . .

My family loves it when I don't have a voice because I can't talk to them as much. But, there is one person that I can talk with and that is God. I don't have to have a voice to have a conversation with Him. . .my prayer today is that you, too, will spend time with Him to find rest and refreshment. . .

No comments: