Thursday, October 12, 2006

Great News!

This afternoon I got the phone call that I've been waiting for eight months! Dr. Merwin's nurse, Teresa, called me at work. I would have taken the call myself but when she calls I don't want to miss a SINGLE word. So, I got one of my coworkers to take the call for me. AETNA has approved my request to go bilateral! Yay! I'm so happy I just want to hug everybody in sight! Teresa asked me if I wanted to have the surgery in December or January. I quickly said January because December is already filling up and I don't want to be sick or dizzy during the holidays. January is my favorite month to relax anyway so this would work out very well. God's timing is perfect! Since Dr. Merwin doesn't have the surgery book for 2007 we don't have a date yet. But, I had to share the good news! I've called and emailed as many people as I could and am not done yet! I did call Brad (son #3) first because I knew he would be excited. He was in class but he talked to me anyway! I called the rest of the kids next. Jason, Chris, and Marissa are thrilled and happy, too! But, Steve doesn't know yet. . . he is on a plane flying back to the U.S. from Latvia. I did call his cell phone and left a message. He'll get it when he turns his phone on as soon as his plane lands in the states. I can't wait to see his face tomorrow night! Steve is my biggest cheerleader and so supportive. I also called Pastor Jeff and my dad. Tried to call my best friend, Dawn (twice), but kept getting her voice mail. I'll try again tomorrow.

In other news, my friend, Jennifer in Nashville, had her CI activated this week. She is struggling a little so say an extra prayer for her. Also, another CI friend, Maureen, needs a prayer or two. She was activated two weeks ago and has trouble keeping her CI on. It spends more time on the floor than on her ear because her ears are small. Her magnet may not be strong enough to keep it on. I saw her tonight at our HLA (Hearing Loss Association) meeting and tried to give her some encouragement. She has the same mapper/audiologist that I do. She is wondering if her processor is defective. I advised her to ask for a different one to try. I forgot to mention "wig tape" to help her keep it on her ear. I know some parents use that for their active kids to keep the processor from falling off. I'll need to send her an email tomorrow. It's late and I need to get to bed. More news later!

3 comments:

SooZ said...

So very excited for you, Laurie. Funny, a couple of hours ago, when I was in bed dozing off, I thought seriously about what a second CI would be like. Now I hear this great news for you! I'm so eager to see how you do!

Thinking of you!

Hugs,
Suzie

Anonymous said...

Dearest Laurie,
Wow!!!! I am so happy for this wonderful news. I was able to spend a little time with Steve in the car driving to the new Hope Center house and he told me all about the insurance problem and that you had to start the whole process again. WONDERFUL news. You are right --- I am sure that his face will light up when he hears the news. I am so very, very happy for you.
I am looking forward to your visit in December. I think that we will have time to talk and I can have you meet the girls that you have been helping.
Saw the men off this morning. It will be interesting to hear what Steve thought of the trip.
Glad you shared! Love, Gita

Anonymous said...

Awesome news. If my first one is a success, I hope to have 2 also. I have to work another 10 years and the remotes, FM device etc.. is a real challenge to keep up with. My job requires frequent travel and sometimes several motels in one week. I have lost one FM "boot" and one control device and that gets mighty expensive. At least I know perseverance can pay off.
I am very happy for you. Tina