Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Update coming soon. . .

I know, I know. . . I need to write in here! I compose entries in my head all the time but no one benefits from them unless I write them down. These last few weeks have been extremely busy trying to get in a new routine and get caught up around here. And I'm still behind. I should have resigned from my job a long time ago. The Christmas tree and stockings are still up and our Christmas cards still aren't sent out. . . *sigh. . .

We had Internet issues for over a week and I could not get on the Internet at home. I finally got that fixed with a new router (and am now the new IT department in this house!) Now I am trying to find health and dental insurance for our family since our COBRA benefits run out soon with Aetna. Since we are self employed, we stayed with them as long as we did because of my cochlear implant surgeries and Brad's medical issues. Trying to navigate and figure out the best insurance policy is challenging and has consumed quite a bit of my time. I know very little about this stuff because we always had a group policy where someone else took care of the details for us.

I filled out an online questionnaire last week and that was a HUGE mistake. The phone rings constantly and the caller ID shows one insurance company after another. And when they leave a voice message they talk too fast, making it almost impossible for me understand them or for the CapTel phone to get the captions. When that happens, they get crossed off my list. (It would be nice if people would make a conscious effort to talk slower and clearer on the phone, not just for the hearing impaired but for everyone.) I have narrowed agents down to two people that I can deal with locally and have meetings with them this week. Any suggestions, recommendations, or ideas would be welcome!

More later. . . stay tuned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh good luck! It's such a crazy maze. My husband is self employed also so we don't have a group policy either. Luckily, the agency in town that we went through has a dedicated staff member who helps their clients with navigating the policy and filing appeals if necessary. She has been so helpful! Maybe you could ask about such a person on the staff of the agencies you are dealing with.

Anonymous said...

I say skip the Christmas letter, take the tree down and put a Kebosh on 2007 Christmas for good! BAH HUMBUG!